How to Opt Out of the Windows Insider Program
The Windows Insider Program (or Programme) is a great way to test out early builds of Windows 10 before they’re officially released to the public. It isn’t one of these exclusive memberships either – with just a few clicks in settings anyone with a Microsoft account can sign up.
You may have done just that to get the new features in the October 2020 update early, which include the new Start Menu, refined Alt+Tab experience and all-new Edge browser. However, the Insider Program offers early builds of Windows 10 throughout the year.
If you don’t want to keep getting potentially unstable versions on your PC, it’s time to opt-out.
How to opt-out before the next development cycle begins
If you’re considering opting out, now is the perfect time to do it. The fact that the October update was released so recently means we’re at the start of a development cycle. In this scenario, opting out is as easy as changing one quick setting:
- Open Settings
- Head to Update & Security and select ‘Windows Insider Programme’ from the left pane
- You should see a screen similar to the one below. Click the toggle under ‘Stop getting preview builds’ to turn it on
- Restart your PC to activate the changes
How to opt-out once a development cycle has begun
In this situation, the early build will have already been installed on your device. Fortunately, there’s an easy way to roll back to the previous version, provided it’s been less than 10 days since the update was downloaded.
- Head to Settings > Update & Security and select ‘Recovery’ from the left pane
- You should see a sub-heading saying ‘Go back to the previous version of Windows 10’. Click ‘Get Started’
- Follow the instructions in the window that appears. When prompted, choose any reason you’d like for going back to the previous version
- On the final screen, make sure you click ‘Go back to earlier build’
Don’t worry, all your files and settings will remain intact. Next, you’ll want to opt-out completely of the Windows Insider Programme. This is the same process as above:
- Head to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Programme
- Under ‘Stop getting preview builds’, click the toggle to set it to ‘On’
- Restart your device to apply changes
That’s it! You’ll now no longer be eligible for early builds of upcoming Windows 10 versions.
Conversely, if the October update hasn’t arrived on your device yet, the Insider Programme is the most effective way to get it ahead of time. Here’s how to get the Windows 10 October update now.